Danville Art Trail
Welcome! The Danville Art Trail (DAT) is an 18-month exhibit of outdoor sculptures in public places, combined with murals, Victorian architecture, and points of interest. Art is located within a one mile radius of the JTI Fountain at 111 Main Street in the vibrant River District of Danville, Virginia.
Meet the Professional JurorsCarrie Alter
Virginia Van Horn
Meet the Local JurorsRick Barker Bill Sgrinia
Bruce Wilson Fred Motley
Kathy Milam Charles Ellis
Meet the Danville Art Trail Advisory Team
Rick Barker Kathy Milam
Clark Casteel Charles Ellis
Ken Larking Fred Motley
Bill Sgrinia Bruce Wilson
Gina Craig Emily Ragsdale
Thanks to the generous sponsors of the Danville Art Trail. DAT is funded, in part, by the Virginia Commission for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Arts, Danville Regional Foundation, Danville Regional Medical Center, and the City of Danville
You can assure that Public Art becomes a permanent part of the Danville community. Contributions will be used expressly for the purpose of sustaining outdoor public art in the city of Danville. Use will be decided by the Danville Art Trail Advisory Board, but may be in the form of funding a future art on loan exhibit, commissioning a work of art for the community, or purchasing an existing piece of art for permanent display.
$7,500 and up Major Sponsor
$5,000-7,499 Project Sponsor
$3,000-4,999 Contributing Sponsor
$1,000-2,999 Presenting Sponsor
Contact Bill Sgrinia at (434) 799-5200.
Artists must be 18 years of age or older.
Sculpture must be:
- Original, high quality work of art
- Suitable for outdoor installation and able to be structurally secured to a concrete pad
- Capable of withstanding adverse weather conditions and high traffic areas and safe for children
- Suitable for family viewing
Works deemed unsafe, overly fragile, or otherwise unsuitable will not be considered for the exhibition.
Size Limitations: No work can exceed 15 feet in height or weigh more than 500 pounds. If you would like to enter a larger piece and are able to provide your own equipment for installation, please contact us for authorization prior to submission.
Date Due: April 13, 2018
- Artistic quality, aesthetics, consistency of theme, general standards of decency, appropriateness to the diversity of the community.
Sculptures will be insured by the City of Danville for the duration of the exhibit. The City of Danville will provide limited equipment and personnel to facilitate installation on site. Sales of sculptures are actively encouraged. A 20% commission will go to the Danville Art Trail on all works sold as a result of the exhibit. All sculptures must remain on site during the period of display. Artists will be notified no later than May 31, 2018 if their work has been selected. Installation of Sculptures is planned for July 2018.
If an artist’s piece is chosen, he or she agrees to the following:
- Artist must be present during the installation of the sculpture and at the reception.
- Artist must allow use of his or her likeness and biographical information for publicity purposes by Danville Parks & Recreation.
- Transportation arrangements are the responsibility of the artist.